After about a year of sticking with ratpoison, I grew tired of the lack of updates and tweaks for it. Sure I had 2 desktops with rpws, and all my keybindings set up but, I ran into the problem of having the same setup day after day. Soon I began looking at other window managers similar to ratpoison.
I found Stumpwm, and used it for a couple months, while learning lisp, and configured it the way I wanted it. A big issue I found with stump was that most of ratpoison's stability hadn't been carried over, and once in a while it would reset when trying to add new things. A big advantage was that it was realtime. I also grew tired of not having a statusbar so I added one, but, it wasn't what I hoped it would be.
Then I heard about AwesomeWM. I had heard about it previously on the archlinux forums, and decided to install it. The first thing I noticed was the menu, statusbar and floating layer by default. After themeing it, and setting up some tweaks in my rc.lua I was rolling. Probably the quickest setup of any of my WMs so far. One thing I have come to love is the different widgets, and workspace layouts. One such widget is called eminent this allows me to only show the workspaces I use, and dynamically close them once I am finished. By keeping different layouts in different workspaces, this has made me more organized. I have a workspace for internet browsing which is floating, a dl workspace for downloads which is max, a work workspace which is fullscreen so I don't get distracted, and a term workspace for all my terminal activity which is tiled for maximum efficiency. I have more workspaces but those are the application based ones that I actually use right now.
Another widget I love is an expose like view of all my windows so I can easily select one using the arrow keys called revelation.
Here is a screenshot of my desktop (workspace 1):
Currently I am also using linux-ck from the AUR with lots of patches my system has never been faster and more efficient than it is with AwesomeWM.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Friday, November 26, 2010
Compiled during thanksgiving dinner, then placed into my bootloader. Makes the desktop more interactive at higher system loads. Fast as hell, and arch made it easy. Going to try more kernel configs later.
Saturday, October 30, 2010
New network card, using the Ralink RT2870 driver (received from the AUR), and a new usb 2.0 pci adaptor from fry's electronics, fixed my network. It is now at 100%, don't know how I even managed with the other network card. Everything seems to be as it should, at the moment. New mouse + mousepad as well. Also, did some tmpfs modifications in /etc/fstab.
The wireless driver install for archlinux couldn't have been easier, didn't even use the driver cd. All I did was a lsusb to see what driver it used, then got the driver from the AUR, and added it to the MODULES section in /etc/rc.conf and rebooted.
Posted by Monty at 8:48 PM
Monday, October 25, 2010
Saturday, October 2, 2010
This is pretty much out of my control, it's a problem with the wireless card code base (802.11) calling a country and a datalink not responding. The only way to even see what happened is DMESG. Here's the part that shows the error.
cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domainOnce I unplug and replug the adaptor and hit refresh in wicd, it can connect again. The funny thing is, I had the best 8 and a half hours of uninterrupted wireless use without any errors, last night. So this just seems random.
zd1211rw 1-4:1.0: error ioread32(CR_REG1): -71
Posted by Monty at 10:35 AM
Friday, October 1, 2010
Now I don't get too frequent cutouts on my wireless internet connection. I even edited my timeouts to be a little longer. Arch linux rox my sox.
Posted by Monty at 4:14 PM